INFINITI FLU A-sH1N1
Sample Type and Volume:
- Only 28% of hospitalizations and 17% of children with laboratory-confirmed influenza infections were diagnosed as actually having influenza.
- Rapid respiratory virus diagnosis of inpatients can lead to benefits in several areas: up to 50% reduction in hospital days, 30% reduction in antibiotic use, and 20% reduction in unnecessary diagnostic tests and procedures.
- Will allow:
- public health labs to track multiple viruses with 1 sampling
- monitoring of viral subtypes in the populace
- easy integration to existing workflows
- K.A. Poehling, et.al., The Underrecognized Burden of Influenza in Young Children NEJM, 2006;355:31-40.
- CDC: Disease Surveillance
- Hendrickson, K. J. 2005. Cost-effective use of rapid diagnostic
techniques in the treatment and prevention of viral respiratory infections. Pediatr Ann 34(1) 24-31.